It is believed that the date of this photograph sometime between 1899 and 1908 as there is no clock in the tower, but electrical transmission wires and posts can be seen along the King Street.
The three storey brick and stone building was constructed by the federal government in 1885. It was built on the southwest corner of King and Benton Streets on land purchased from Casper Heller. The cost to erect and furnish the building was $28,000. William Jaffray was the postmaster when the building opened on 21 January 1886. The building was vacated in 1937 when the Duke Street post office was built and was used as an armory until it was demolished. In October 1963, the City of Kitchener purchased the building from the federal government for $150,000. By 27 November 1964, the building was demolished. The property was used to widen Benton Street and the remainder was sold.
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to Canadian law. No restrictions on use.
If you would like to obtain a digital or print copy of this image, please see KPL's Photographic Reproduction Policy at http://www.kpl.org/localhistory/photographs